Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Little Things: Breast Cancer + Lemons

Workout: 20 min interval run

Sabotage, it reared it's ugly head once again.

I headed to bed around 10 but just "HAD" to watch the finale of Most Eligible Dallas. I wanted to know what their deal was:



It was such a cute episode, too bad he had to ruin it because he "luvs" the ladies! Doofus!

I also couldn't sleep because I was trying to do a self-breast exam. I added the task to my list after reading about Giuliana yesterday morning, I'm sending her a little prayer. Thanks for highlighting this issue Julie @ pbfingers.com!

You see, about ten years ago my Aunt Rosa passed away WAY before her time due to breast cancer. It's still so surreal because it happened so fast. She actually went into remission but it came back. She is still very much missed by her family.

You'd think this would make me a stickler for checking every month, but I am terrible at it. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did. It was partly due to breastfeeding, since they are almost a different species of breasts - it's hard to feel anything. Well, it's been 5 months since I stopped, so I really don't have a good excuse.

Another problem is that I have no clue what to look for or what a lump feels like. Do you know what to feel for?

Well, after some googling this interesting picture popped out:


Who knew a breast is like a lemon and lump is like a seed?

This comparison helps some, but it's still confusing.

Then you have to take your monthly hormonal changes into account, and that adds another level of complexity.

Last night I thought I felt a pea, but then it'd blend away. Luckily, I have my annual exam this month and my breasts should be "normal" by then so I'll be asking many a questions.

The frantic googling for something that I may or may not have felt made me realize the importance of being consistent with your self-examinations. You need to know your breasts so you can pick up on anything that doesn't belong there.

Are you good about these self-exams? Any tips?

In the words of Mike in the Morning (my local DJ in the AM), "Ladies, check your bumps for lumps!"

ADios!

0 comments: